The role of a Sterilization and Hygiene Assistant is to assist the clinical staff in the clinical setting. Their main priority is to ensure excellent patient care, maintain safety standards, and be a resource for all clinical staff. This job description outlines the essential functions of the Sterilization Technician position and the competencies that the Sterilization and Hygiene Assistant position is held accountable to.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Provides customer service support to patients by escorting them to and from the treatment room and prepping them for care.
- Assists in new patient process as needed.
- Familiarity with each doctor’s tray set up preferences.
- Assists in preparing trays and setting up for all procedures.
- Records treatment information on patient charts.
- Chairside assists Lead Surgical Assistant and/or Hygienists when needed to ensure patients receive the best care.
- Removes all instruments and tools from treatment room after use and processes them for sterilization.
- Cleans and sets up treatment rooms for scheduled procedures.
- Proper breakdown of operatories.
- Prepares, decontaminates, and disinfects instruments, tray set up and instrument sterilization.
- Dismiss sedation patients utilizing wheelchairs and proper techniques.
- Digitize and scan xrays and scans when needed.
- Provide training and development on clinical needs.
- Analyzes areas of improvement and cost efficiency within the clinical space, researches and provides solutions.
- Help maintain office and clinic cleanliness.
- Performs routine maintenance of dental equipment including but not limited to: autoclave, statim, compressor, vacuum, amalgam separator, ultrasonic cleaner, etc.
- Maintains plaster trap and lab counter areas.
- Performs daily and weekly waterline maintenance.
- Submission of broken instruments, handpieces, and equipment for repair.
- Maintain and service office equipment as needed: toner, air filters, gas cylinders, etc.
- Inspect, assemble, and test dental equipment for proper function and alert office lead of anything that requires attention.
- Collect, store, and ensure proper disposal of biohazards and sharps waste.
- Maintains appropriate stock of dental supplies while being mindful of not overstocking and staying within budget.
- Laundry service as needed.
- Maintains OSHA/WISHA, aseptic technique, HIPAA according to compliance and company protocols.
- Abide by all PPE standards for clinical staff.
- Practice universal precautions and proper infection control.
- Minimize waste, fraud, and abuse.
- Report any hazardous situations to front desk staff.
- Be knowledgeable of spill containment and clean up.
- Weekly spore testing submission and recording per company policy and procedure.
- Maintain SDS binder.
- Ensure maintenance of emergency kits and first aid supplies in the office to ensure accuracy and compliance with OSHA/WISHA.
- Maintain safety equipment (Fire extinguishers, eyewash equipment, AED, emergency signage, crash carts etc.)
- Identify expired clinical materials and reorder as needed.
- Document and maintain accurate sterilization records.
- Proficiency in x-rays, digital scans, and patient charting.
- Detail oriented.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Provides a general knowledge base need to perform the job duties.
- Exhibits professionalism: patience, communication skills, customer service.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Performs job duties with a positive attitude and dedication to working hard.
- Provides support and cooperation when working with other to provide the best patient care.
- Remains loyal, carrying out the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Problem solver through critical thinking and providing solutions.
- Proactive in identifying areas of opportunity and making the appropriate adjustments.
- Demonstrates an expert level knowledge and skill set to properly execute the position duties.
- Always performing their best work and leading others to do the same.
Clinical - Possible exposure to body fluids, chemicals, radiation.
Required education and experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Active Dental Assistant Registration or Sterilization Registration required
- 1 year of dental experience required
- BLS certification