Lead Dental Assistant
The role of Lead Dental Assistant is to provide oversight, leadership, and mentorship to fellow dental assistants. To assist in the efficiency and functionality of the department and to help the department reach their goals set forth by the Doctor. This job description outlines the essential functions of the Lead Dental Assistant potion and the Core Performance areas the Lead Dental Assistant position is held accountable to.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Welcomes patients and gets them situated in the appropriate treatment room.
- Reviews patient health histories and documents all medications, medical conditions and alerts the doctor to any abnormalities.
- Obtains and documents patient’s vital signs and alerts doctors to any abnormalities.
- Obtains, documents, and updates patient dental history, as well as overall health and medication history.
- Takes and develops x-rays, photos and CBCTs and uploads into patient charts as appropriate.
- Performs the setup and breakdown of all operatory equipment, instruments, and documents on time, to meet regulatory and compliance requirements and to keep the doctor on schedule with daily patient care.
- Assists the doctor during a variety of treatments, exams, procedures.
- Actively delivers a positive patient experience by striving to keep patients focused on the best possible treatment.
- Educates patients in oral care and ensures the sterility of instruments and operatory before subsequent patients arrive.
- Is proficient in educating patients in all practice procedures, exams, and procedures.
- Actively participates in daily morning huddles for schedule review and ensure a smooth productive day.
- Assists the doctor during a variety of treatments, exams, procedures.
- Is proficient at (1) entering all patient documentation into the Electronic Dental Record for legal compliance, review, and Doctors’ signoff (2) preparing accurate, complete and professional treatment plans for procedures, scheduling, and insurance benefits coordination (3) scanning all required paperwork into the patients’ charts.
- Prepares tables and trays for dentist with necessary instruments and supplies.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments and prepare treatment rooms as needed.
- Ensures appropriate supply of equipment and materials.
- Is proficient at solely working a doctor’s schedule of surgeries, exams, and patient procedures.
- Assists hygienist with patient care whenever necessary.
- Enters accurate and complete treatment plans for review and presentation by the treatment coordinator.
- Directs doctor accordingly to maximize efficiency and minimize downtime.
- Assists doctor in educating patients to encourage patient case acceptance.
- Assesses and professionally addresses any patient questions and/or concerns and manages patient care while under the direct care of the dental assistant.
- Is proficient and professional when handing off patients to the front office staff (following exams and procedures) to ensure patient scheduling of procedures.
- Is proficient at performing patient chart reviews following standard operating procedures as well as collaborating and obtaining patient documentation as mandated for surgical procedures and patient medical conditions.
- Maintains a smooth patient workflow with the front office staff and clinical teams to promote timely and exceptional patient experience visits.
- Maintains and keeps organization within all practice electronic records systems.
- When time allows, assists front desk staff.
- Maintains the procedural site and anticipates chairside assisting protocols in a proficient and competent manner.
- Is willing to provide On Call responsibilities when needed from time to time.
- Assists the Sterilization Assistant with the maintenance of office equipment.
- Directs and leads dental assistants in continuous process improvements.
- Leads clinical staff in cleanliness throughout the dental office location to include taking turns cleaning the staff break room upon assignment.
- Leads clinical staff in maintaining a smooth patient workflow with the front office staff and clinical teams to promote timely and exceptional patient experience visits.
- Collaborates with other office staff to improve and provide better patient care.
- In conjunction with the Dental Practice Manager, lead assistant is to ensure adequate coverage of dental assistants to ensure efficient workflow.
- Mentors and trains other clinical staff.
- Maintains the knowledge that is a resource to other clinical staff, uses their expertise to improve patient care and advance company goals.
- Responsible for the professional and clinical development of the other dental assistants in the office.
- Assists in the efficient transition and adaptation of new dental assistant staff.
- issue resolution and workflow recommendations for continuous process improvements to the lead surgical assistant.
- Dental supplies and dental supply ordering: maintain a running list of dental supply inventory.
- Monitor dental supply expirations and dispose of materials accordingly.
- Work in conjunction with management team to request dental supply needs properly and efficiently to the appropriate requisition channel for ordering while adhering to inventory budget.
- Is mindful and stays within the care center budget that has been established by the company.
- Maintains OSHA/WISHA standards, aseptic technique, and HIPAA according to compliance and programs.
- Abides by all PPE standards for clinical staff.
- Practices universal precautions and proper infection control.
- Minimizes waste, fraud, and abuse.
- Reports any hazardous situations to front desk staff.
- Be knowledgeable of spill containment and clean up.
- Abides by the allowable and prohibited duties for dental assistants as outlined by the state of Washington.
- Ensure that office Safety Data Sheet (SDS) are up to date and readily available.
- Ensure maintenance of emergency kits and first aid supplies in the office to ensure accuracy and compliance with OSHA/WISHA.
- Inspect, test and log autoclave systems and eye wash systems. Ensure weekly monitoring of autoclave systems via spore testing and other biological testing, as designated.
- Expert in x-rays, CBCT/pano, and patient charting.
- Detail oriented.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Provides a general knowledge base need to perform the job duties.
- Exhibits professionalism: patience, communication skills, customer service.
- Performs job duties with a positive attitude and dedication to working hard.
- Provides support and cooperation when working with others to provide the best patient care.
- Remains loyal, carrying out the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Problem solver through critical thinking and providing solutions.
- Proactive in identifying areas of opportunity and making the appropriate adjustments.
- Demonstrates an expert level knowledge and skill set to properly execute the position duties.
- Always performing their best work and leading others to do the same.
Clinical - Potential exposure to hazardous waste and blood borne pathogens.
Required education and experience
- Previous dental experience required.
- Previous dental leadership experience preferred.
- Possess an equivalent to high school diploma or general education degree (GED) and any specified training courses as mandated by state for certification, licensure, or registration required.
- Associate degree or one-year certificate from an accredited college or technical school, or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Active Registered Dental Assistant License required.